Monday, June 3, 2013

#blogjune Post 3 - My History of Blogging

Ok so I am cheating a bit today and I'm a bit late with my post. I'm late with my post because I had bootcamp this morning at 6am-7am.  I then had to shower, eat breakfast and be out the door by 7.45am to drive to Grafton (1 hour and half away) for a team leaders meeting at library HQ. I'm cheating because I haven't got any other better idea for a post and I think it is actually an interesting activity to participate in anyway.  Thanks to @FiFyi and Multifarious Librarian for this "meme"
  • How long have you been blogging?
  • I first started blogging in 2005.  I used a blog to keep track of the research for my Dunn and Wilson Scholarship - you can read about it here.

    I then went into hiatus and didn't start blogging again until 2011 when I participated in #blog12daysxmas.

  • Why did you start blogging? How many times a week do you post an entry?
  • So as I mentioned above, I started blogging to keep track of research.  But I went back to blogging to force myself to reflect and share my reflections.

    My blogging regularity varies unless I'm participating in things like #blogjune or #blog12daysxmas.  Last year I went all out and also made my own #blogDecember.

    This year I hope to continue #blogjune and post everyday in June.  I am also participating in #ANZ23mthings which I hope to post at the end of each week about, and of course, will do #blog12daysxmas.

    I also try to do a couple of blog posts after I attend events/conferences/seminars.

  • How many different blogs do you read on a regular basis?
  • Gosh, I haven't really counted the blogs I follow on my reader - The Old Reader which I'm using now as Google Reader decided to close down.

    I would guess there may be 20 regular blogs I follow and read.

  • Do you comment on other people’s blogs?
  • If I'm very interested in a topic or have an opinion I'd like to share, then yes I comment.  However, I seem to be commenting more on author's blogs I follow in order to win a copy of their books!!

  • Do you keep track of how many visitors you have?
  • I admit, I do look at the stats every now and then just to see if any of my posts have generated interest.  I can tell when I have posted about passionate or controversial topics by the amount of readership I get.  I also note that since posting posts to Twitter and Facebook, my audience has gone up a little.

  • Did you ever regret a post that you wrote?
  • I haven't ever regretted a post.  But I have felt nervous and worried about some posts.  Especially if they are borderline personal - but then I did do a post about that too.  I think for #blogjune I may venture more into the personal side because some of the topics that have been floating around in my head are more personal then professional - I wonder if this will affect readership!?!

  • Do you think your readers have a true sense of who you are based on your blog?
  • Hmm, this is a good question.  I'm not sure.  A lot of people who do read my blog, knew me before I blogged - but it would be an interesting exercise and I do hope to meet more of my virtual network in real life.

  • Do you blog under your real name?
  • Close to it.  SharonU is pretty close.

  • Are there topics that you would never blog about?
  • Politics, politics and politics.  Oh and probably some personal choices that people are emotionally caught up in.  I'd like to think I could test the waters but I think some people may be surprised and a bit shocked.

  • What is the theme/topic of your blog?
  • I think it changes a bit here and there.  Mostly it's about library things but sometimes, it goes into personal interests.

  • Do you have more than one blog? If so, why?
  • I have enough trouble regularly writing on one blog let alone two!!

  • What have you found to be the benefits of blogging?
  • Reflection, discussion starters and development of a good network of fellow professionals.  I also feel less isolated.

  • So, why do you continue to blog?
  • Because I enjoy sharing and am starting to enjoy reflecting.  I also don't mind "hearing" myself "talk"!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment