Tuesday, June 4, 2013

#blogjune Post 5 - Running

Today, somewhere in the world it is National Running Day.  Well actually I think it is National Running Day in the USA.  Regardless, today somewhere in the world people are celebrating National Running Day.

Now what does that have to do with me?  Well, I hate running.  Well, ok, I like running when I have finished running.  While I'm running I hate it!

And it has been a while since I've been running.

Back in 2001 (I think) I couldn't really afford gym membership, and since in my past life I was an aerobic instructor, I decided I'd up my walking to running.  I had been doing a bit of running on the treadmill at the gym but that is nothing compared to running outside.

I was living in Clayfield, Qld at the time.  So I would run in the hills of Ascot and Hamilton.  Yes I would run up the bl**dy big hill to Bartley's Hill reserve.  And then back down Crosby Rd then on to Sandgate Rd and back to Junction Rd where I lived in Clayfield.  I also did an easier run at times along Kedron Brook.

When I moved to Goodna, Qld I would then do a smaller run around the streets there.  But there were always a few dogs on the loose that would worry me, and once I fell pregnant, well the running stopped.

Now here I am doing bootcamp 3 mornings a week with ladies that are training for the Gold Coast marathon in July.  They are going to run 42km or something.  And since bootcamp sometimes requires a bit of running, I've caught the small bug.

It started one weekend a few weeks ago when I was doing my regular Saturday afternoon hour long walk.  My walk also consists of running up 2 sets of stairs 15 times.  I had just completed the stair run and thought, hell I'll just keep running.

I set myself small hurdles - I'll just run to that corner.  I'll just run to the end of this path.  I'll just run to the end of this road.  You get the idea.  Well, I kept running and I worked out that I had run about 5km without stopping.

So now instead of my weekend hour long walks - I do an hour long run.  And I only run 5km and walk the couple km home to warm down - well actually I just can't yet run that extra.  But today, I dobbed myself in at bootcamp when I mentioned that Monday is a public holiday.  Sometimes we do an extra bootcamp to make up for it.  Well our bootcamp leader said there will no extra because the ladies training for the marathon are doing a big run - 35km - on Saturday and may need the rest.  Then she added that they may do an 8km run on the Monday instead.  So I piped up and said maybe I'll join them.

I may not get through the 8km but I will give it a go - unless it's really cold and bed is better - but then I think about how good I feel after the run and that I won't have to exercise the rest of the day and I can laze around... hmm maybe the run will be good!!

There is a PS to this - I only do exercise so I can maintain my chocolate habit!!

Happy National Running Day!!


http://www.godoreen.com/category/running/

No comments:

Post a Comment