Friday, June 7, 2013

#blogjune Post 8 - #anz23mthings Thing 5 Photos + Maps

I feel like the kid who hasn't done their homework.

I honestly have not had a chance to discover much for the #anz23mthings thing 5 this week.  My lack of "good" smartphone means I have to rely on my work tablet to carry out my investigation and play of each "thing."  And apart from having little time to walk around my area during the week, the thought of taking photos with my (larger than a phone) tablet didn't appeal.

So I'm cheating a little and using others blog posts to reflect on thing 5.

@stephmcg shared here knowledge of Historypin and what she found when she played around with it.  Like her, I did a search on my shire, and found little content.  I agree that it would be dependent on institutions or keen individuals to populate an area of a map.  I'm thinking that this would be a really good partnership between my library service and our local historical society.  However, since my library service has little in the way of staffing resources, and the local historical society is volunteers that have limited technological skills - it would still take a bit of work to get the project off the ground. 

I have been invited to a meeting talking about heritage buildings in our shire this coming week, and I think I may raise Historypin as a possible project for recording our heritage and making it accessible.  It will be a start to just put it out there.

@stokesrenee discusses copyright and privacy which are really relevant topics when it comes to putting your photos up on social media. 

I really don't think too hard about people knowing where I am at a given time - well I suppose those that say burglars prowl social media sites waiting to know you are out of your home so they can pounce, might be on to something - but I also think it is fun to share where you are, especially if you are visiting an interesting place (although you will note in my previous post, I really don't do Foursquare anymore - possibly because I rarely visit interesting places).

The copyright issue is probably more of a concern because I'm sure our historical society would like to maintain some ownership over the images (although many of the images aren't owned by them but the photographer who took them).

So while I didn't play around with Historypin, I did read and think about how it can be used.

I'll keep you posted on the possible library partnership with the historical society.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sharon, glad my blog post provided you with some inspiration :) The copyright issue is an interesting one for libraries - if the images aren't owned my the library or the historical society I guess they would have to seek permission from the copyright owner for each image to use it on Historypin... But there are museums and other cultural instructions posting content there, so it must be possible somehow? Need to investigate further or maybe some other readers have experience in this area?

    ReplyDelete